A money judgment awarded by the court against a defendant (or debtor) in a collection case is good for 10 years. That means that the Plaintiff (or creditor) has 10 years to try to collect or enforce the Judgment until it is satisfied.

At the end of the 10 year period the judgment will expired unless the Plaintiff or creditor elects to renew the Judgment. The Judgment can be renewed by filing out a court form and paying the court fee associated with the renewal. The rate is nominal. Please check the court fee schedule for the correct fee and require form in your area.

If you haven’t satisfied your judgment and it is due to expire, it is a good investment to renew it.