Eviction Money Judgment

The process for obtaining an eviction and a money judgment is a two step process. The first step involves getting a judgment for possession to evict the tenant. Generally, landlords want to get the tenant out as quickly as possible so they move as fast as possible to get the judgment for possession so that the sheriff can start the eviction process.

Then after the eviction is completely, the landlord is able to ascertain the last date of possession to begin the process of filing for a money judgment. This is step two. It begins with either filing a 585 declaration along with your request for a clerk’s judgment or proving your case in a prove up hearing.

Once the money judgment is obtained, you proceed with enforcing it like any other judgment. I hope that explains things in the eviction world.